Free software and world heritage

xdrudis at tinet.org xdrudis at tinet.org
Thu Feb 27 13:37:21 UTC 2003

> On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 11:35:51PM +0100, BenoƮt Sibaud wrote:
>
> > APRIL and FSF Europe set up a working group to have Free Software
> > classified as an intangible world cultural heritage by UNESCO.
>
> What does "intangible" mean?

Something is intangible iff you can't use the sense of touch on it.

Most world heritage are buildings, cities, museums, that
kind of monumental stone works. Software is a different thing,
because it is not material. So most world heritage is tangible,
although you shouldn't modifiy it (too much). I don't know
about "cultural" world heritage, though.

I don't think it has anything to do with anybody not being able to
modify free software.