seeking advice on software distribution

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Tue Feb 4 17:56:57 UTC 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 06:49:53PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 06:33:51PM +0100, Jerome Alet wrote:
> >   - Allow Free public readonly access to the source code and
> >     documentation via CVS.
> >
> >     Of course the latest version in CVS is the version under
> >     developpment, so it may not work out-of-the-box.
>
> You do realize that with CVS you can check out any version in the
> repository?  If you manage the CVS repository properly, this includes the
> released versions.  Or do you want to restrict that in some way?  Or maybe
> you count on the lack of clue on the other end? :)

No, I understand perfectly what I use CVS for: keeping history
of a project.

What I don't want people to call "Official Version" is every version
I don't have publish(ed) as a tarball. I imagine I could put a
special CVS tag on "official versions", and people could get them
from CVS freely if they want, and redistribute them under the
"Official Version" label.

Again my goal is not to limit developper access (who know how to use
CVS anyway).

Hoping this clarifies what I plan to do. Of course all this is just
an idea in my mind yet, and so is perfectible.

Thanks for your advice

Jerome Alet