GPL and Moral Rights

João Miguel Neves joao at silvaneves.org
Sun Aug 31 08:23:36 UTC 2003

A Sáb, 2003-08-30 às 14:21, Alex Hudson escreveu:
> On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 14:06, edA-qa mort-ora-y wrote:
> > A concern I would have is in the event of the author's death, when the
> > estate inherits their copyrights.
>
> If moral rights are not transferrable, I don't see why the estate would
> inherit them.

It's in the portuguese law, and probably in others. Upon the author's
death, the state is responsible for defending the paternity and
integrity of works.

The baviera state (Germany) has been using this "inheritance" to prevent
the (re)publication of Hitler's "Mein Kampf". It caused a bit of a stir,
because this was the first case of using copyright to systematically
prevent the distribution of a book.

--
João Miguel Neves <joao at silvaneves.org>