Software Patents and reduction/interchangeability of presentation

João Miguel Neves joao at silvaneves.org
Sun Aug 17 21:29:02 UTC 2003

A Dom, 2003-08-17 às 17:33, edA-qa mort-ora-y escreveu:
> So the question I've never actually seen addressed is, "What is a
> software patent really?".  At what point does something stop being a
> mathematical representation of a physical process and become a strictly
> "soft" program?

A "software patent" as being discussed right now is everything. To avoid
the limitation of the european patent convention, that doesn't allow
patenting software "as such", the national patent offices are proposing
terms like: "programmed computer", "programmed network", "executed
process" and "software in a digital medium".

If you can get me a software patent definition that isn't overbroad,
I'll discuss it. As it is, discussing definitions with people who want
everything to be patentable is now worth my time.

--
João Miguel Neves <joao at silvaneves.org>