(L)GPL remarks and FreeGIS licensing

Niall Douglas s_fsfeurope2 at nedprod.com
Sun Aug 17 15:50:02 UTC 2003

On 16 Aug 2003 at 13:29, Wim De Smet wrote:

> The common conception is, that our current system is indeed not up to
> the task of carrying us another millennium. But your arguments are
> wild, unfounded, off-topic and you present no alternative to change
> the system your criticizing. So the entire discussion you're trying to
> launch is essentially baseless.
>
> Serves to show the governments of our respective countries are not the
> only ones who don't know what they're doing.

:)

Actually, I have *no* *shortage* of ideas for systemic changes to
address these problems and bring our civilisation into a post-
capitalist infrastructure, many of which are in accord with other
futurist opinion and study. However, these would be off-topic in here
except in an engineering sense.

My original point (and my apologies if I wasn't being clear) is that
the new intellectual property laws being passed or tabled at the EU
are symptoms of an overall systemic problem of misconceptualisation.
Since people don't seem to want to address that, cool, but I thought
it a point worth making.

Cheers,
Niall