Actually, speaking of sharing ...

Niall Douglas s_fsfeurope2 at nedprod.com
Fri Aug 15 17:11:42 UTC 2003

On 14 Aug 2003 at 9:02, Simo Sorce wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 02:20, Niall Douglas wrote:
> > But the days of the European & American C++ coder are numbered.
> > Globalisation enforces no other logical choice. Since globalisation
> > would have a few western management execs and everything else
> > outsourced to the cheaper third world, it'll have to break someday.
>
> Probably after some years, there will raise autonomous comanies in
> India, China, etc ... that will stop sending money to western
> managers, and start to make their own business competing (and winning)
> the western companies.

I hope so, but if you look at most other areas of outsourcing
industry this simply hasn't happened. The third world gets all the
pollution, crappy jobs and a tiny fraction of the money. The west
retains all the power, profit and the elite jobs. The whole process
is called "streamlining" and "increasing productivity" which is what
industry has been demanding of the software industry for some time.
It's just we were too deaf to hear (software engineering is almost
unrepresented by unions, lobby groups or anything else).

If you read former Indian prime minister Indira Ghandi's books on the
subject, she clearly illustrates how the world economic structures
are deliberately & heavily biased against third world countries being
anything more than exploited for cheap labour and lower tax
overheads. This is better known in the west as "free trade" rules.
Wherever you see "GATT", "WTO" or "World Bank", read "keep the west
rich and everyone else poor" agreements.

Cheers,
Niall