Most recent full copy of Directive on patentability of computer implemented inventions

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Thu Aug 14 00:13:12 UTC 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 12:26:26AM +0100, Jo?o Miguel Neves wrote:
> A Qua, 2003-08-13 ?s 23:56, Ciaran O'Riordan escreveu:
> > We need a consensus on what amendments to endorse.

The above line was my main point.  Does such a consensus exist already?

> > There are 14 proposed amendments, the list is available at:
> > http://www.europarl.eu.int/meetdocs/committees/juri/20030616/juri20030616.htm
> >
> >   Amendments are marked "AM".  Amendments can only be tabled
> > at JURI meetings and there are no such meetings until Sept
> > 10th, so this is the final list.
> >
> Wrong. JURI is over. Ammendments can only be tabled in plenary by a
> political group or a group of 32 MEPs (Members of European Parliament).

(JURI is a committee, it cannot be "over")
I spoke to the European Parliment Office in Ireland, they say
that amendments are proposed at the meetings of the relevent
committee (JURI in this case), and that there are no more JURI
meetings until Sept 10th.  The amendments are voted on by the
plenary at the start of September.

> You should present them a vote list. That is, a list of ammendments and
> yes or no for all of them.

This is a good idea.

> >   Does anyone know of a good/agreed set of amendments?
> > I'll try to work out a set myself if no one knows.  I think
> > the Greens/EFA drafted an amendment, I'll start by looking for
> > this one.
> >
> There will be tabled ammendments in plenary that have not been discussed
> in any of the committees so far.  If you have contacts with irish MEPs
> please contact europarl-ie at ffii.org for coordination. You'll be able to
> get most of the information from there.

I'll contact ffii to clear this up.

ciaran.