Most recent full copy of Directive on patentability of computer implemented inventions

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Wed Aug 13 22:56:42 UTC 2003

We need a consensus on what amendments to endorse.

There are 14 proposed amendments, the list is available at:
http://www.europarl.eu.int/meetdocs/committees/juri/20030616/juri20030616.htm

  Amendments are marked "AM".  Amendments can only be tabled
at JURI meetings and there are no such meetings until Sept
10th, so this is the final list.

  In Ireland, we've worked hard on the patents issue.  The
response we get is that they know the directive is bad but
they don't want to vote against it, they want to amend it (so
that the process won't have been a complete waste of time and
money).

  No matter how hard it is, we have to find a set of
amendments that will make us happy.  We then say to our MEPs
"Unless amendments X, Y, and Z are passed, you must vote No".
This gives us a chance to get a good law passed, and it gives
our MEPs a firm reason to vote No if needs be.

  Does anyone know of a good/agreed set of amendments?
I'll try to work out a set myself if no one knows.  I think
the Greens/EFA drafted an amendment, I'll start by looking for
this one.

  We must rally around one set of amendments rather than
end up with 4 good amendments each getting a quarter of
our support.

Any help or pointers would be very much appreciated.
Ciaran O'Riordan