(L)GPL remarks and FreeGIS licensing

Xavi Drudis Ferran xdrudis at tinet.org
Wed Aug 13 21:31:04 UTC 2003

El Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 07:22:07PM +0100, Niall Douglas deia:

> > It's only that it just isn't natural to not share.
>
> I'm afraid that's bunk. Those who hoard are those who survive and
> those willing to cut down their neighbour to steal their food also
> have an advantage in simple situations. The entire current western
> europe derived world empire is based on invading other countries,
> subjecting them forcibly to our rule and getting them to work for our
> benefit. Studies show that that exploitation has increased year-on-
> year for the last two hundred years - why else has food production &
> available capital exceeded world population growth worldwide and yet
> with each year a greater percentage of humankind slips in poverty and
> hunger?
>
> However, we /can/ learn to behave differently and slowly, I think we
> are. But you can't claim it's natural to share - it isn't outside
> your family unit.

IMHO sharing food has nothing to do with sharing knowledge.

Only one person can eat one thing, but you don't lose knowledge by
sharing it. This does not mean you want you necessarily want to share
all the knowledge you have, but any comparison with material goods is
misleading.

--
Xavi Drudis Ferran
xdrudis at tinet.org