(L)GPL remarks and FreeGIS licensing

Niall Douglas s_fsfeurope2 at nedprod.com
Wed Aug 13 18:22:07 UTC 2003

On 13 Aug 2003 at 11:48, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:

> I'm sure a lot of people don't care about the software license of the
> software they use because they don't give a rat's ass to copyright
> (which is an artificial government granted monopoly right), that's why
> you have a "rampaging piracy". It's not that in some countries 90% (or
> more) of the people are evil and rich black bearded pirates with
> patch-eyes that think of nothing else than not giving more money to
> the starving poor developers that must eat.

Actually, I think it's self-evident to anyone half intelligent that
technology has made existing IP law for anything wholly representable
inside a computer obsolete.

That means all those file-sharers are not the ones robbing the
authors of their cash. It is in fact the fault of the governments for
not establishing adequate regulation to ensure the survival of their
industry.

> It's only that it just isn't natural to not share.

I'm afraid that's bunk. Those who hoard are those who survive and
those willing to cut down their neighbour to steal their food also
have an advantage in simple situations. The entire current western
europe derived world empire is based on invading other countries,
subjecting them forcibly to our rule and getting them to work for our
benefit. Studies show that that exploitation has increased year-on-
year for the last two hundred years - why else has food production &
available capital exceeded world population growth worldwide and yet
with each year a greater percentage of humankind slips in poverty and
hunger?

However, we /can/ learn to behave differently and slowly, I think we
are. But you can't claim it's natural to share - it isn't outside
your family unit.

Cheers,
Niall