IBM/SCO/GPL (Was: Re: (L)GPL remarks and FreeGIS licensing)

João Miguel Neves joao at silvaneves.org
Tue Aug 12 21:03:41 UTC 2003

A Ter, 2003-08-12 às 21:48, Alex Hudson escreveu:
> On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 21:37, João Miguel Neves wrote:
> > The part at issue in this case is article 7 of the GPL (see below).
>
> No, I understand that. I just don't see that it applies.
>
> People seem to be saying that section 7. is saying that since they
> distributed Linux (with their code) they were giving licence for people
> to use their code. I don't believe that could ever be the case. It does
> mean that the code was unlicensed for use, and cannot be distributed,
> but SCO cannot be made to turn their act into a legal one retroactively.
> They were breaking the licence unknowingly, I can't see how it can be
> argued otherwise.

They have been warned about the need to license the allegedly infringinf
linux code before distributing (even through cease&desist letters) and
they keep distributing it. They have the right to do it, as long as they
license the alleged infringing code under the GPL.
--
João Miguel Neves <joao at silvaneves.org>