(L)GPL remarks and FreeGIS licensing

João Miguel Neves joao at silvaneves.org
Tue Aug 12 20:21:32 UTC 2003

A Ter, 2003-08-12 às 20:54, Niall Douglas escreveu:
> My own opinion is given recent historical judgements by US courts
> with regard to similar issues, it does not bode well. The fact the
> GPL has the sweeping power it does it because it can be interpreted
> in so many ways ie; it's not been fixed.

I couldn't disagree more with you on this. The force of the GPL and the
reason why no company so far, after hundreds of GPL violations, dared to
go to court against the GPL is because there aren't much doubts about
its meaning.

If you want to understand how much work has gone into getting the GPL to
this point read the "Enforcing the GPL" series in
http://emoglen.law.columbia.edu/
--
João Miguel Neves <joao at silvaneves.org>