[Fwd: EDRI-gram - Number 6, 9 April 2003]

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue Apr 15 09:10:20 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 07:25, Guillaume Ponce wrote:
> > In Portugal, we suggested (and it was accepted by the proposing
> > party):
>
> > It is considered Free Software that which has a license of usage
> > that assures it's user, without adicional costs, ....
>
> I think "without additional condition" could have been a better
> wording than "without additional cost", to prevent sw vendors to make
> users "register at no cost" as a condition to have freedom.

Indeed. However, we where approached at a pre-release of the draft law.
The 'additional cost' is from them and it was intended to avoid someone
charging more money for freedoms the software should give right away
(but I agree with the additional condition part), but we managed to
change it into the direct and explicit definition of Free Software.

Rui
+ So let's do it...?