RFC: New business modell for free software development

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at kemisten.nu
Fri Sep 13 17:57:03 UTC 2002

Raph <raph at r4f.org> writes:
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 02:49:26AM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > Let me be more precise:  The GPSA can not be like the GPL and make a
> > requirement about when you are allowed to use the software.  The GPL
> > explicitely does not restrict using the program.  Any license that makes
> > restrictions about using the program is unlike the GPL.
>
> Freedom 0 : use of the piece of Software...
> Do you all know the 4 freedoms of Free Software ?
> See http://france.fsfeurope.org/libre.en.html

Interesting, do _you_ know what freedom 0 is? Last time I check what
the freedom 0 was it went something like this: the freedom to run the
software, for /any/ purpose.

Which would clearly make this GPSA license non-free if it has an
clause when you are allowed to "use" the software.  Of course this is
only my understanding of the issue, and I haven't really bothered
reading any previous posts on the topic so shoot me. :)

Cheers,
--
Alfred M. Szmidt