Desktop Free Software can save fortunes

João Miguel Neves joao at silvaneves.org
Mon Oct 21 20:24:51 UTC 2002

I thought this piece of news would be interesting:

Danish Board of Technology: Public administration can save billions
using Open Source software
http://lwn.net/Articles/13301/

The most interesting part (to me):

In Hanstholm municipality they had a pilot project since April which
showed that the don't have more problems using OpenOffice.org and
StarOffice instead of Microsoft Office as their office suite and each
user only needs one to one and half our of training to learn the new
office suite. The municipality will now use OpenOffice.org and
StarOffice on all workplaces (200 in all) and saves 300.000 Danish
Kroners (ca. 40.000 EUR) each year in license fees. They will still use
Microsoft Windows as operating system.
--
						João Miguel Neves