GPL not encouraging new technology

Niall Douglas ned at nedprod.com
Fri Nov 29 15:00:47 UTC 2002

I'd be interested in what the list thinks regarding whether the GPL
is good or bad for new advances in technology eg; startups.

I'll firstly offer my own position on this: the big problem I see
with the GPL is that it does not make any money for vendors *except*
when the product is already well-established and mature. If I were to
come along with some radical completely new way of looking at
computer software, my sole option under the GPL would be to do most
of the initial work myself, then get volunteers onboard (difficult -
there are not many programmers capable of thinking radically outside
the box), and then after many years and a lot of hard work you'd have
a product you possibly could provide support for and thus make your
living out of it. Until that point, you'd probably have to work to
support yourself and do the radical project in your own limited free
time.

Hence, I would feel that the GPL is bad for blue-sky technology
startups. The GPL is excellent for developing a better version of
already existing technology which cannot be stolen by others, but no
use for creating new technology.

To prove this last probably contentious point, look at GNU/Linux. I
personally cannot see anywhere in the entire system any completely
unique technology. It's merely an improved version of existing know-
how. There's no real innovation in there AFAICS, not say like Plan 9
or EROS is a reconception from the ground up.

Now I personally am not a free software advocate, never have been and
probably never will (I come from an Acorn background) but I do see
its utility against the shoddy practices of large multinationals. I
personally have always supported the notion that you buy, not licence
software and a binary alone isn't software - it comes with source. I
also support a fair deal more freedom of use of a bought product but
not so far as reselling it - so long as I get my cut of resales, I
would be happy with whatever its end use.

So, hopefully you don't think me a troll. I am genuinely interested
in what all your thoughts are.

Cheers,
Niall Douglas