Referentiel des utilisateurs Linux

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue Nov 26 23:32:14 UTC 2002

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 12:22:28PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> John Tapsell <tapselj0 at cs.man.ac.uk> wrote:
> > [...] we will only have 100 / (the number of countries in the EU) percent
> > of the posts in english. That way we can reduce effective communication to
> > zilch.
> I suspect English is a minority first language here.  Claiming some sort of
> intentional "primary" status on the main list is rather arrogant.  Other
> lists I am on exist fairly happily in English and German, or English and
> Italian.  Don't want to give people the opinion that FSF is only for
> English-speakers, eh?
> Cxu vi parolas nur anglalingvon?

Certainly, but untill we have some sci-fi translators, on most cases it
is frequently inpraticable.

Posts in German are mostly useless to me (I don't really trust babelfish
and the likes for translation, and I can't afford a human translator).

I guess Portuguese would also be hard to understand for many around
here, although perfectly possible for at least a handfull of
subscribers.

No, English is probably not the first language of many here, but it's
certainly one of the most common foreign languages taught in many
schools worldwide. French is another one (I can scratch some French),
but English is also much simpler.

I would certainly appreciate if the ratio of posts in english maintains
above 90%; however poor the expression of one may be, I will understand
it way better than if it's in, say, Armenian, for instance.

That way, I may share experiences or maybe be helpful.

Hugs, rui