GPL Violation is normal ?

Alceste Scalas alceste.scalas at gmx.net
Fri Nov 8 18:33:37 UTC 2002

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 03:37:46PM +0100, Alessandro Rubini wrote:
    > >     |     c) Accompany it  with the information you received
    > >     |     as to the offer to distribute corresponding source
    > >     |     code.   (This  alternative  is  allowed  only  for
    > >     |     noncommercial   distribution  and   only   if  you
    > >     |     received the program  in object code or executable
    > >     |     form with such an offer, in accord with Subsection
    > >     |     b above.)
    > >
    > > So, if  a friend  of yours downloads  a copy of  a GNU/Linux
    > > distribution and makes you a  present of it, saying that you
    > > can download  the sources from  the distro website,  then it
    > > should be fine: it is a non-commercial distribution.
    >
    > Not quite. Because if you download, you didn't receive "an
    > offer accoding to section b above".

Uhmm, yes, you're right: I  thought that a sentence like "click here
to download the binary, or here for the sources" could be considered
as an offer  "in accord with Subsection b above"  --- hence, that it
could be extended to third parties (for non-commercial distributions
only).   I just  missed the  explanation that  you quote,  few lines
below in the GNU GPL itself:

    >      If distribution  of executable or object code  is made by
    >      offering  access to  copy from  a designated  place, then
    >      offering equivalent  access to copy the  source code from
    >      the same place counts as distribution of the source code,
    >      even though  third parties are not compelled  to copy the
    >      source along with the object code.

I think I'll  change the way I offer  GNU/Linux distributions during
installation parties :-)

Regards,

alceste
--
This .signature is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free