GPL Violation is normal ?

Marcus Rejås marcus at rejas.se
Mon Nov 4 13:29:13 UTC 2002

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 10:45:05AM +0100, Andreas Schockenhoff wrote:
> Hello,

Hello!

> have you ever make a online "binary only update" for a friend or in your job?

Yes, many times, and I also belive that I did a good thing for the
Free Software community.

> I think than you make the same GPL violation as you give a binary only CD
> away?

You are probably right. But I'll continue to break the license. I like
to see the source-code as an asset. If I installed the sourcecode with
the software every time (or wrote an offer to provide it) it will become
a burdon, not only for me, but also for the person I'm trying to help.

I do tell everyone that uses the software that it is Free Software and
that i have the sourcecode if they would like it (not very likely). I
think this is good enough. The license was not written to stop people
like me to help my friends.

If I give away a CD it's more simple to do it by the book. I could put
the source on the CD or write an offer to provide a CD with the source
code.

Regards,

   /Marcus