GPL Violation is normal ?

Reinhard Müller reinhard at ffs.or.at
Sat Nov 2 10:41:27 UTC 2002

Am Sam, 2002-11-02 um 10.45 schrieb Andreas Schockenhoff:
> have you ever make a online "binary only update" for a friend or in your job?
>
> I think than you make the same GPL violation as you give a binary only CD
> away?

I think you are right. Making a binary available without the source, and
not offering to send the source on physical medium, is a violation of
the GPL. No matter whether you give the binary to your customer, to your
friend, or to your enemy.

I also think that it's good that it's this way. Why should you treat
your friend worse than a provider of a distribution treats his
customers?

Bye,
Reinhard

--