Official position of RedHat regarding software patents

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Thu May 30 07:53:48 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-29 at 21:32, Jan Wildeboer wrote:
> Werner Koch wrote:
>
> > Jan asked why GPL compatible licenses are not included.
>
> It was meant like this:
>
> Say I have programmed something and that is distributed under a
> GPL-compatible license. Now I want to add some routines that touch these
> patents. According to RedHats statement I am not allowed to do this undr
> the terms of their promise as my license is not the GPL but only
> GPL-compatible. Am I right?

And where's the problem?

Simply: build a separate GPLed source file that contains the routines
you have to put under a GPL license because of the patent, and then link
all together (if the rest is GPL compatible it is not a problem), the
only thing that will change is that you will have to redistribute the
whole work under the terms of the GPL license (but the single part of
code that are BSD/X11/whatever will retain their own license).

Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l.
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399