Official position of RedHat regarding software patents

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed May 29 18:37:12 UTC 2002

On Wed, 29 May 2002 18:38:45 +0200, Bernhard Reiter said:

>> Not even a GPL compatible license not included in the RedHat allow list?
>> Just curious and willing to learn ;-)

> I don't fully understand your question.
> The list by Redhat contained the GNU GPL.

Jan asked why GPL compatible licenses are not included.  This would
include the reformed BSD one and the LGPL.  I can understand that they
are not in the list of Approved Licenses (it would allow even
proprietary software to use the patent without royalties), however it
is a Bad Thing to alienate the BSD and XFree folks from the GPL
department of the Free Software community by not allowing them to
reimplement something under their license.  X and some BSD licensed
code is even a part of the GNU project.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner