GPL and dsitribution of source code

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Tue May 28 07:22:48 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-05-28 at 00:24, Jan Wildeboer wrote:
> As I may not put restrictions on top of the GPL I have no way of
> enforcing the general philosophy of our project (sources are available
> for free)?

Can I ask you why you would like to enforce to distribute GPLed programs
for free?
This is one of the examples of success stories about companies being
able to make profit with GPL, where's the problem?

> Is that something that other see as a flaw in the GPL? Or am I alone
> with my opinion?

I cannot see any flaw, you decide to make your program available for
free, the other company does not.
Hint: you are not obliged to release your program for free to anyone,
you may also decide to make it a available for free to some and make
other paying for it (of course the ones who buy it will have all the
granted freedoms as usual).

Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l.
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399