GPL and dsitribution of source code

Jan Wildeboer jan.wildeboer at gmx.de
Tue May 28 00:29:09 UTC 2002

Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

> GPL doesn't allow such NDAs. You are allowed to sue them for copyright
> infringement.

Not?

http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DevelopChangesUnderNDA

  Does the GPL allow me to develop a modified version under a
  nondisclosure agreement?
     Yes. For instance, you can accept a contract develop changes and
  agree not to release your changes until the client says ok. This is
  permitted because in this case no GPL-covered code is being distributed
  under an NDA.

     You can also release your changes to the client under the GPL, but
  agree not to release them to anyone else until the client says ok. In
  this case, too, no GPL-covered code is being distributed under an NDA,
  or under any additional restrictions.

  The GPL would give the client the right to redistribute your version,
  but in this scenario the client will choose not to exercise that right.

Now if the 'evil' company has such an NDA signed by the client I am
lost, am I not?

Jan Wildeboer