GPL and dsitribution of source code

Jan Wildeboer jan.wildeboer at gmx.de
Tue May 28 00:03:49 UTC 2002

MJ Ray wrote:

> Hello Jan,
>
> For official statements, I think some of your questions are dealt with in
> the GPL FAQ at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

Hi MJ Ray,

The problem with the FAQ is that they seem to avoid the main question I
am asking. The GPL-FAQ doesn't clearly state what happens when I don't
distribute binaries but sources only.

Also, this entry from the FAQ seems to be a contradiction to GPL 3b:

  Does the GPL allow me to charge a fee for downloading the program from
  my site?

  Yes. You can charge any fee you wish for distributing a copy of the
  program. If you distribute binaries by download, you must provide
  "equivalent access" to download the source--therefore, the fee to
  download source may not be greater than the fee to download the binary.

Whereas GPL 3b says that I may only:

      b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
     years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
     cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
     machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
     distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
     customarily used for software interchange; or,

'For a charge no more than your cost of physically performing source
distribution' is different from 'the fee to download source may not be
greater than the fee to download the binary.' which may be any fee.

Or am I brutally wrong here?

Jan Wildeboer