GPL and dsitribution of source code

Jan Wildeboer jan.wildeboer at gmx.de
Mon May 27 23:57:04 UTC 2002

Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

> Yes. Everyone who got sources may distribute them.

OK. Thanks.

> Yes.
>
> But remember that you didn't program it. Part that you want was
> programmed by them. Part that you programmed you already have anyway.

The problem is that this company has offered us to give us the sources
when they think they are stable. On the other hand they are already
'selling' it to anyone they can get hold of. We have asked them that
when they are distributing already why they still consider the sources
to be not fit enough to show them to us. They have answered that they
are not willing to discuss GPL-stuff with us anymore :-( And they
claimed that I am not allowed to tell that to anyone because they have a
  disclaimer in all their eMail that prohibits us to disclose any
communication with them. They also told us that all of their customers
had to sign an NDA that will make sure that we will never be able to use
their sources. Something I am not willing to accept. I have already
received their sources from an Anonymous Customer with the suggestion to
publish them as contribution. But as the company has threatened me with
legal consequences I am a bit scared to do this, though the GPL woould
allow me to do this.

A complex situation. I have not seen the NDA and I will not aks for it
as that could cause severe problems for Anonymous. If that is what the
GPL allows I am not sure if it is the right license for our project.

> Of course GPL doesn't limit your free speech rights.

Seeing the NDA stuff I can only hope.

Jan Wildeboer