GPL and dsitribution of source code

Jan Wildeboer jan.wildeboer at gmx.de
Mon May 27 23:35:49 UTC 2002

Kalle Svensson wrote:

> Somewhat related, the cool URI of the week:
> http://www.gnu.org/cgi-bin/license-quiz.cgi
>
> Question 6 deals with exactly this question.

Unfortunately I am not sure about this. This question deals with binary
distributions. But our application is distributed in source form. We
have been informed that when source code is the normal form of
distribution GPL 3 is out of scope. I dont like this, but I cannot be
sure if that is true or not. That's why I am asking.

The GPL seems to be focused on binary distribution. That's why I am
sking if it is a flaw in the GPL when it comes to interpreted language
that is usually distributed in source form. If in this cae GPL 3 is out
of scope I am not able to receive the sources. That would be something I
find hard to accept.

These companies I am talking of have programmed some add-ons that can
only work with our application. They are of no use without our
application. When GPL 3 is out of scope we are not even able to check
the sources for correct license and copyright statements without paying
the desired fee of these companies. That is something I find hard to
believe.

Jan Wildeboer