GPL and dsitribution of source code

Jan Wildeboer jan.wildeboer at gmx.de
Mon May 27 22:24:49 UTC 2002

Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

> GPL doesn't give you right to request the sources.
> They may not give you them or require any fee they want.
> This clause applies ONLY to binary-only distribution.
> If they haven't given/sold you the binary, they don't have
> to give you the sources.

So I can deduct this:

If a binary is distributed for a fee I am entitled to receive the
sources according to GPL 3b at a minimum charge covering only the costs
of the physical transfer.

If the usual format are sources there is no way to force the distributor
to send me the sources for a minimum charge covering only the costs of
the physical transfer.

Is this coorect? And does it reflect the general philosophy of the Free
Software community?

As I may not put restrictions on top of the GPL I have no way of
enforcing the general philosophy of our project (sources are available
for free)?

Is that something that other see as a flaw in the GPL? Or am I alone
with my opinion?

Jan Wildeboer