RedHat and software patents

Joerg Schilling schilling at fokus.gmd.de
Mon May 27 12:34:15 UTC 2002

>From simo.sorce at xsec.it Sat May 25 16:25:32 2002

>On Sat, 2002-05-25 at 12:35, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>> BTW: Red Hat in general is not very GPL friendly...

>I'm not the defender of anyone, but can you explain this statement?
>Putting such ana ccusation on a public list without proof is not fair.

What is unfair with telling the truth?

>I've seen red-hat releasing most (if not all) of his code with the GPL
>license so far, so I cannot see why you say they are not-GPL friendly.
>So far, in my experience, it seem that red-hat has been one of the most
>free software friendly commercial GNU/Linux distribution. I can be wrong
>of course.

>> Some time ago, I made a proposal to include some (non-read hat) code
>> covered by GPL. The answer was: We are not allowed to include code that
>> has not been coded by Red Hat employees.

>include into what ?

If you had read my mail you would not have to ask....

>knowing your diplomacy may be you simply got it wrong ... (but that's my
>opinion based only on the flames you have made on this list)

?????

As I already told you:

I made the proposal to add some GPL'd software to Cygwin.

To be more specific, it was ACL related SW from the Linux development.
The responsible people from red hat told me that they cannot include
such code because read hat only allows them to use code for cygwin
that has been written by RH people.

This is devinitive a non GPL friendly behavior. The only reason to behave
like this is that RH sells non-GPL versions and thus would get problems
with the other code.

I hope that you are no able to believe me...

Jörg

       js at cs.tu-berlin.de		(uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       schilling at fokus.gmd.de		(work) chars I am J"org Schilling