Sony PS2 Linux kit -- violating the GPL?

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.yi.org
Wed May 22 21:15:51 UTC 2002

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 09:47:39PM +0100, phil hunt wrote:
> Unfortunately their licensing terms (visible on the web at
> <http://www.linuxplay.com/eula.html>) appear to be in violation
> of the GPL. The EULA states: NON COMMERCIAL USE ONLY. You may
> install and use the Software only with a PlayStation??Computer
> Entertainment System. You may not copy, modify or transfer the
> Software"

If that licence is for the entire system, then I suppose they're not
in violation of the GPL. The version of the Linux kernel for the
Playstation 2 doesn't access the hardware directly, but communicates with
an intermediate, proprietary, system.

The drivers emmulating normal hardware that talks with that system are
released under the GPL, I think...

> (If anyone else wishes to contact them about this, please be
> polite. Also, it is not a good idea to contact websites such
> as Slashdot about this, until they have a chance to rectify
> things).

Wasn't there a discussion about this already?

Luciano Rocha, strange at nsk.yi.org