Sony PS2 Linux kit -- violating the GPL?

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Wed May 22 20:47:39 UTC 2002

Sony have released in Europe a Linux kit for their Playstation 2
game console. (Previously, the Linux kit was not available in
Europe).

Unfortunately their licensing terms (visible on the web at
<http://www.linuxplay.com/eula.html>) appear to be in violation
of the GPL. The EULA states: NON COMMERCIAL USE ONLY. You may
install and use the Software only with a PlayStation??Computer
Entertainment System. You may not copy, modify or transfer the
Software"

I have sent an email to them pointing this out and await their
reply.

(If anyone else wishes to contact them about this, please be
polite. Also, it is not a good idea to contact websites such
as Slashdot about this, until they have a chance to rectify
things).

--
<"><"><"> Philip Hunt <philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk> <"><"><">
"I would guess that he really believes whatever is politically