Trying to speak about "logiciel libre"

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Thu May 16 00:31:45 UTC 2002

On Thursday 16 May 2002 12:40 am, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 12:27:06AM +0100, phil hunt wrote:
> >
> > On the contrary, "freedom software" *is* grammatically correct, even
> > if it is a bit odd-sounding. The grammar-rule in question is something
> > like:
> >
> >    noun_expression : modifier noun
> >
> >    modifier : adjective | noun
> >
> > IOW, an ordinary noun can be used as a modifier.
> >
> > You can tell whether a modifier is an adjective by seeing if it can
> > be used after "be". Examples:
> >
> >    "the red car" > "the car is red"
> >
> > Therefore "red" is an adjective
> >
> >    "the image conversion" > *"the conversion is image"
> >
> > Therefore "image" is a noun
>
> Your grammar is flawed, as it:
> * allows many ungrammatical contructions
> * has one rule for different relations
>
> Relation in 'image conversion' is:
> image conversion ::= conversion that-acts-on image
>
> Relation in 'red car' is:
> red car ::= car is red
>
> So in 'freedom software' it will be:
> freedom software ::= software that-acts-on freedom

I think you are confusing syntax with semantics here. A better
expansion for

   <modifier> <noun>

might be:

   <noun> having-something-to-do-with <modifier>

In other words, it can express lots of different sorts of relationships.
Examples:

   opening positions [in chess] = positions in the opening
   peace conference = a conference to discuss / bring about peace
   email headers = headers in an email
   communication system = a system for communication

etc.

> What makes no sense.
>
> You can use some nouns as adjectives, for example
> noun 'computer' can be used in some contexts as
> adjective 'computer' (computer program),

No. As I have noted, "computer" here isn't an adjective, it is a
modifier.

> but
> word 'freedom' can't because it's adjective form is 'free'.
> That's why the proper form is 'free software' not 'freedom software'.

The correct grammar of any language is that grammar which native
speakers actually use. So, do native English speakers actually
use "freedom" a a modifier? It appears they do; Mark Ray has
already mentioned the example of "freedom food".

--
<"><"><"> Philip Hunt <philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk> <"><"><">
"I would guess that he really believes whatever is politically