Trying to speak about "logiciel libre"

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Thu May 16 09:39:55 UTC 2002

Jaime E . Villate <villate at fe.up.pt> wrote:
> [...] Obviously, the two terms should not be translated identically, or
> you will end up with translated documents that make no sense (those that
> talk about the differences of the two movements).

Sometimes it is unavoidable.  I seem to remember being told that Anglia and
England both translate into French as the same word (Angleterre), but I'm
unsure if that is correct.  (Please tell me off-list if you know ;-) )

Here it does seem rather avoidable, though.  Maybe it's Open Source
supporters realising they're pointless in a particular language arena which
didn't have the language motive for their term?