Free Software and Business/Administration

Jan Wildeboer jan.wildeboer at gmx.de
Tue May 14 17:12:26 UTC 2002

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> How can business people deny this? :)

Unfortunately it is not a question of 'how'.

The real question is 'WHY do business people deny this?'

In all of my discussions I have always been asked the same questions
over and over again.

'You have no assets when you give away your sources'
'You can never offer garantuee or exclusiveness'
'Free Software can never be a competitive advantage'
'Your attitude wont feed the kids'

etc. etc.

But whenever they see the result of our work they start to think
different. Whenever they take the time to think they start to
understand. It is a long long process for the average business guy/girl
to understand what risks non-free software is.

I enjoy these discussions. Many people start thinking. And when you take
their arguments and examine them closely you can indeed show the
misunderstandings in those statements.

Don't give up :-) They will all accept the free software concept :-)

Jan Wildeboer