Companies and Patents

xdrudis at tinet.org xdrudis at tinet.org
Mon May 13 10:27:59 UTC 2002

> On 12 May 2002 at 22:16, Xavi Drudis Ferran wrote:
>
> > On hardware, it depends. The criteria is if the invention
> uncovers new insight
> > on nature, physical forces, properties of matter... then it may
> be ok.
>
> No - this is science. Laws of nature are not patentable, e.g.
> Newton could not patent
> gravity.

Sorry, I didn't express myself right.

I meant to patent new processes or devices created by discovery
of new laws of nature, or at least by experimentation of its application
to areas where they hadn't been tested. I didn't mean to patent the law
of nature, just the process or device that uses it.

And even so, I'm not arguing for any kind of patent. I think they _may_
be useful in those cases. If practitioners think they aren't, then
they aren't.