EU Copyright..

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Sun May 5 11:56:19 UTC 2002

On Sun, 2002-05-05 at 00:41, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 12:40:40AM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 11:33:46PM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > > GFDL with "invariant sections" or some "front/back cover" things is
> > > proprietary license.
> >
> > It isn't, it only takes away freedoms you can't do anything useful
>
> Not having to publish crap is something very useful.

You have not read carefully what GFDL states and do not consider that
documentation has some real difference from software. You cannot threat
toughts and software exactly the same way.

> > with and is generally only abused. The same does the GPL.
>
> Have you ever worked with open/free documentation ?
>
> http://www.wikipedia.com/
>
> It would completely destroy Wikipedia if we allowed some 'invariant
> sections'.

Many of us have worked with documentation, have you ever read any doco
on www.gnu.org site? What licence do they have? Do you think that is
bad?

The possibility to modify a software is obviously a good thing!
The possibility to modify a technical document to update or correct it
is of course a very good thing (and GFDL permit it if used correctly)!

But the possibility to change a person's toughts is NOT!

If in a document I say: "I think Free Software is a good thing!" and I
licence the document under GPL, you are entitle to change (without even
notify me) it to be: "I think Free Software is a BAD thing!".

Now do you think this is fair? What is the meaning of permitting other
people to change MY toughts?

They are MY toughts not something general that is useful to change, I'm
the only entitled to change my toughts, so applying invariant sections
to personal toughts is The Right Thing! and GFDL is the right way to
preserve the ability to correct wrong or outdated techincal statements
without changing the philosophical/political/whatever personal opinions
of the author.

Stating that GFDL is not a valid free documentation license, is just a
miscomprension of this point.

Sincerely,
Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l.
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399