EU Copyright..

Jaime E. Villate villate at fe.up.pt
Sat May 4 21:34:53 UTC 2002

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 07:17:36PM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 06:14:59PM +0100, John Tapsell wrote:
> > > 5. No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups
> > > The license must not discriminate against any person or group of
> > > persons.
> >
> > What does it mean to discriminate against a group of people btw?
> > If I said this program cannot be used by anyone who has no access to PC's,
> > would I be discriminating?
>
> Yes.

Notice that in item 8 of the GPL is not "the license" who is discriminating
against anyone; it is just a reminder that somebody else (for instance a
paranoid state who thinks comunists are dangerous criminals) has decided to
forbid some individuals to have equal access to technology. It is not the
holder of the copyright who has decided that.

Jaime