EU Copyright..

Jeroen Dekkers jeroen at dekkers.cx
Sat May 4 20:54:22 UTC 2002

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 06:14:59PM +0100, John Tapsell wrote:

> > 5. No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups
> > The license must not discriminate against any person or group of
> > persons.
>
> What does it mean to discriminate against a group of people btw?
> If I said this program cannot be used by anyone who has no access to PC's,
> would I be discriminating?
>
> You could argue that they could get a PC and then use it, so it isn't
> discriminating.
>
> If so, then if I said "Jews aren't allowed to use this software', then is
> that?  You could argue that they could denounce their faith and become
> muslims, and then use it...
>
> Just being difficult,

We all know open source, including the OSD, is flawed. Does it really
matter to argue about this? Other than that, I haven't seen this option
of the GPL used. I worry more about the Debian Free Software
Guidelines, but that's also known to be flawed (in relation with the
GNU FDL). And at least they call it guidelines instead of definition.

Jeroen Dekkers
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers at jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org
IRC: jeroen at openprojects