Affero general public licence Re: GPL - possible violation - what should I do?

Alexandre Dulaunoy adulau-conos at conostix.com
Thu Mar 21 12:12:18 UTC 2002

Yes, we know. We have made some comment, but the idea is a good step ;-)

Here it is the email sent to fsf and affero :

<email>
Dear Sir,

http://www.affero.org/oagpl.html

The licence is very interesting and seems to fill some gap of the GPLv2
regarding the ASP/MSS world. We have the same issue with one of our
projects IPFC (released under GPLv2). Some ASP (in Managed Security
Service) are using IPFC without giving back the modified version because
they don't directly distribute the software to the customer. So for us the
affero is a big step for the maybe GPLv3.

But there is some issue regarding the clear definition of what is an ASP,
what is a customer (client, user)...
We have read the license and with some comment regarding the point 2(d).

There is a point about the use of "user" as name. In our case, we have
some specific external application (for example, syslog server that are
pushing information into our infrastructure). These applications could be
considered as user. Is there maybe another generic term to describe this
case ?

Another point is regarding the availability of the modified source code.
We think that the HTTP distribution is not possible in all case and limits
the possibility of redistribution (not so good for Free Software ;-).  For
example, an "evil" ASP could have a special button that permit download of
the modified source code.  But you must be a customer of that "evil"
ASP... So, classical distribution (open web server (not asp interface),
ftp server, cdrom...) is maybe better.

This is minor comment. We think that the affero public license is going
into the right direction.

We found that is a great idea to extent the GPLv2 to protect Freedom in
some other area.

</email>

So don't hesitate to send comment directly to affero and FSF.

alx

Alexandre Dulaunoy			adulau at conostix.com
					http://www.conostix.com/