Antitrust for Free Software (was Re: GPL - possible violation - what should I do?)

Giovanni Biscuolo giovanni.biscuolo at milug.org
Thu Mar 21 09:19:39 UTC 2002

Il mer, 2002-03-20 alle 18:16, Tomasz Wegrzanowski ha scritto:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 06:10:15PM +0100, Giovanni Biscuolo wrote:
> > >
> > > Consider this: Apache changes the licence to GPL. As Apache has a
> > > large market share, 3rd party vendors for WWW server solutions
> > > would have to make their products compatible with Apache.
> > >
> > > However, taken the GPL literally, they could not, for example,
> > > write a plugin like mod_fancy_shopping_solution and release that
> > > under a proprietary licence.
> > >
> > > So proprietary software vendors could not access that market,
> > > giving an competive advantage to Open Source software vendors.
> >
> > They could use a proprietary web server, it's their choice.
> >
> > Is this a joke?
> >
> > Ciao.
>
> No, this isn't a joke.

Oh, so I hoped.

> Antitrust law applies to anyone who is dominant on a market,
[...]

Antitrust laws applies to companies, not to software.

In the above example Apache web server is free software available to
anyone under the Apache Software License, Version 1.1.
Firthermore, The Apache Software Foundation exists to provide
organizational, legal, and financial support for the Apache open-source
software projects. The Apache Software Foundation is a membership-based,
non-profit corporation.

The very same is for all free software, since it is available to
*anyone* (even to competitors) under the terms of a free software
license.

... yes, it *was* a joke ;-)

Ciao.
--
Art and science are free and free is their teaching [IT Const., art.33]
Associazione Culturale MiLUG       | Xelera - servizi GNU/Linux
mailto:giovanni.biscuolo at milug.org | mailto:g at xelera.it