GPL - possible violation - what should I do?

Jan Wildeboer jan.wildeboer at gmx.de
Wed Mar 20 15:52:06 UTC 2002

> Although you might be distributing code that cannot function
> independently, you are not copying the original code, so you don't
> need the permission of its author.

Something we cannot examine without the sources. To make sure the code is
independent we need to compare their module with our code and sample
sources.

> Please also note that the EU Copyright Directive for Computer
> Programmes also includes a statement that even allows reverse-
> engineering to make other software interoperable. So a licence
> clause that disallows (proprietary) interoperable software should
> be void in most member states.

Interoperability is no problem for GPL'ed software, as you always get the
sources. The other way round is the problem - distributing closed source
products based on GPL'ed sources.

Jan Wildeboer