GPL - possible violation - what should I do?

Claus Färber list-fsf-eu-discussion at faerber.muc.de
Wed Mar 20 13:46:00 UTC 2002

MJ Ray <markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk> schrieb/wrote:
> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Claus_F=E4rber?= <list-fsf-eu-discussion at faerber.muc.de> wrote:
>> Even an include() statement does not make the plug-in in the form
>> it is _distributed_ in a dereived work.

> Hrm.  The program cannot function independently and modifies the original at
> run-time.

Does it? Or does it just _use_ it?

What matters is wheter you are doing something that requires the
permission of the author. In EU member states, this is making any
copy, even temporary copies.

Although you might be distributing code that cannot function
independently, you are not copying the original code, so you don't
need the permission of its author.

Please also note that the EU Copyright Directive for Computer
Programmes also includes a statement that even allows reverse-
engineering to make other software interoperable. So a licence
clause that disallows (proprietary) interoperable software should
be void in most member states.

Claus
--