neat story

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Wed Mar 20 09:51:55 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 01:56, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 00:13, Xavi Drudis Ferran wrote:
> > El Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 11:22:06PM +0000, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra deia:
> > > Boss: Does GPL really allow someone to use commercially the output of a
> > > program?
> > I don't understand. Most licenses allow the output of a program to be used
> > commercially. I wonder whether you can forbid it. Even Microsoft  allows
> > Word documents to be printed and sent to customers or providers...
>
> I told him that, but in his reasoning, you had paid for Word...

And so? MS ripped lot of free code and put it in their Software without
contributing nothing back! Is it yet fair to use MS programs? Shouldn't
your boss regret to buy something from such unfair seller??

> > One thing is having doubts about whether they can get enough
> > money to keep going, but doubts about whether it is fair to use
> > a GPL program?
>
> His doubpts are if it is fair to have so much work, and then some smart
> ass company makes a lot of money and not pay the developer for
> anything... that's where he considers it unfair -- I couldn't demove him
> from that point of view :(

The developers _choosed_ to do so, they know that and they take they
reward as fame and code contributed back! If he thinks GPL is so bad,
what about BSD? With BSD you can not only make money but also
proprietarize the code!! Your boss must think it is a tragedy!

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce