Debian and GNU maintenance, was Re: BitKeeper licence critic

Joerg Schilling schilling at fokus.gmd.de
Wed Mar 20 08:51:00 UTC 2002

>From mjr at dsl.pipex.com Tue Mar 19 16:36:43 2002

>> I AM AT CEBIT NOW

>AND I AM AT WORK TOO.  What has that to do with this?

There is limited time for useless discussions at CeBIT.

>> If you are unable to understand this stay quiet.

>Why?  Ignorance has not prevented you spouting erroneous views on unrelated
>topics.  At least I know a little of the one I wanted to discuss with you,
>the Debian BTS.  Sadly, you do not want to learn.

It is bad to see that you don't like to lean. If you like to discuss things
about the Debian BTS, then just stay with the topic.

>> If you are unwilling to read documentation, it does not make sense to
>> discuss anything with you. Everything you ask is documented, so why should
>> I spend my time and write things that I did already write years ago.

>I have read available documentation, but you usually give no references.

This sounds silly again. All the information for cdrecord is inside the
source package. As you like to talk about the cdrecord package woudn't it make
sense to you to first read the documentation before you start to discuss things
about cdrecord?

>The things that I have read on your private site do not fully explain the
>issues which I am attempting to raise, yet you still try to claim that you
>have already addressed them and I am not reading your documentation.

What is this related to? Please write things in a way so it is possible to
comment.

>To be frank, you could design the most wonderful replacement for make ever
>created, but if you can neither effectively communicate that fact nor see
>that you cannot communicate it, your solution will make no progress.  All
>the ranting about other people needing to READ things will make no
>difference.

The better is the enemy of the good. It seems that you just have a problem
because you are at the side of the good and not at the side of the better.

However, the first thing to start with a project from another person would be
to read the documentation that comes with the project and you just did
obviously not read this documentation. If you likt to discuss things, please
first  read the documentation you already have.

>On the make included files issue, you should remember that even your own
>documentation claims that your desired feature is non-standard.  Nothing
>like consistency, eh?

I don't what this should be related to. Sorry, if you ike a discussion YOU need
to give references. I always did give the references for the informagtion you
need to read before we may discuss the makefile system: cdrecord's
documentation. If you don't give references, we should rather stop this
discussion.

Jörg

       js at cs.tu-berlin.de		(uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       schilling at fokus.gmd.de		(work) chars I am J"org Schilling

 FOKUS at CeBIT Hall 11, A14 - BerliOS at CeBIT Hall 11 D11 (Future Market)

 Meet me at CeBIT in Hall 11 D11 on the BerliOS booth - www.berlios.de