Selling coals to miners, was Re: Dilema

Jeroen Dekkers jeroen at dekkers.cx
Tue Mar 19 13:48:18 UTC 2002

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 12:34:20AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> John Tapsell <tapselj0 at cs.man.ac.uk> wrote:
> > In the UK, and I expect at every university everywhere, you sign a document
> > granting them ownership of your brain when you join.
>
> Quite frankly, I think I am offended that public money received by
> universities (and indeed now the money paid by the students themselves) is
> used to develop products which are not available for the national good.  Why
> are we paying for their R&D effort that follows a broken product development
> process?  If the public pays, the public should be allowed to use it without
> paying a second time, surely?

Because the politics doesn't understand it. We've to make sure they
know and understand it. If they still don't do it better maybe we
should do it ourself and form a GNU party. Wouldn't that be nice? We
could prohibit non-free software!

Ok, let's go back to the real world. ;-)

Jeroen Dekkers
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers at jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org
IRC: jeroen at openprojects