Dilema

Jeroen Dekkers jeroen at dekkers.cx
Tue Mar 19 13:31:19 UTC 2002

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 12:24:50AM +0000, John Tapsell wrote:
>   Also competitors don't really come into it.  Most companies can burn a CD
> from the internet for no money..

Yes, but who is going to put your software on the internet? You
probably won't put it there, you are only going to sell it. The people
who bought it? They have the freedom to do so, but are they really
going to do it? If they do it and make your company fail, how do they
get bugfixes and new releases?

In the bad case from another company, but those developers have to get
familiar with the source first. That costs time, time costs money and
in the end their product will be more expensive than yours. And don't
forget that they also have to make money. How are they going to do it
a company can get the software for a lower price from you?

Of course I've to add that I'm not a business man, but I think you can
really make money with software. At least if you target at
companies. If your target is the general public, I've my doubts.

Jeroen Dekkers
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers at jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org
IRC: jeroen at openprojects