Debian and GNU maintenance, was Re: BitKeeper licence critic

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Mar 19 10:08:22 UTC 2002

Joerg Schilling <schilling at fokus.gmd.de> wrote:
> The Debian Bug list is badly managed (at least for cdrecord) and it does
> not help to keep cdrecord bug-free. Tehy never removed remarks for bugs that
> never exists but are a result of missunderstood or unread documentation.

Did they accept your claim that these bugs "never exist[ed]"?  If so, have
you asked the maintainer andersee at debian.org why the bugs are not closed?
If there was no answer, have you asked debian-qa about it?  Now, maybe I'm
missing something, but the BTS doesn't show any entries from you on any of
the important bugs, nor on a random sample of normal bugs.

Also, I note that there are bugs filed against your documentation.  Maybe it
is not as good as it could be.  Have you considered getting someone else to
review and improve it?

> I send him a description for an algorithm that fiyes the problem and would
> allow somebody who knows the program to create a fix in less than 3 hours.

We're only getting one side of the story here, I know, but what was the
response?  You've already hinted elsewhere that the fix would take severe
internal restructuring.  I assume other things would break, at least
temporarily.

--