Dilema

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.yi.org
Tue Mar 19 00:43:34 UTC 2002

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 12:24:50AM +0000, John Tapsell wrote:

> Hi Rui,
>
>    Btw, What country are you from?  Some friends saw your name and sparked up
> a long debate about it... :)

:) The same that I'm from... Do a little Internet work and you'll get there.

Skeaping about the University, in my country we don't sign any document
about granting ownership, but I've asked a professor about this and he
could only say that as I have the right to do with the software as I like,
so does the University. Anyway, my rights were not removed.

>   I haven't really said what market I was going for - I'm not aiming at
> selling this for $50, or even $500, but way more - which kinda
> makes have your points not really applicable in such contexts.

You may still sell by 50000 £ if you like, and still have the software
GPL'ed.  After all, you're not obligated to distribute your software to
everybody and make it available in a home page for everybody to download
for free.

If you make your software GPL but available only to paying customers, then
depending of those customers your software will probably not end up being
available for everyone but will still be free (as in speech).

Of course, those customers will be allowed to distribute it for free or
for a fee, but depending on the market of your application they could
have no reason to do so.

Regards,
Luciano Rocha

> > Good luck with your free software application!
>
> uh thanks I think :P
(Now, this was funny!)