Dilema

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue Mar 19 00:07:56 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 23:41, John Tapsell wrote:
> > Didn't they want it make
> > development go faster by putting money in it. It's perfectly possible
> > to make money with free software. If you come with good argument and
> > bring it in a good way it should be possible to convince them. If you
> > need help, ask here. If you can't, look for another VC.
>
> It all boils down to money.
> They ask me, 'why would a company pay us any money if they can get it for
> free?'.  And I cannot answer - but then I'm not a business man.

Well, you can give added value to your software when bought, like
warranties, for instance. Good printed documentation (but please, use
GNU FDL for this: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-gfdl.html) . That's
VERY important for a company when evaluating software.
And why should you sell it for a huge amount or a zero amount?
You can even sell it for a higher price than at first expected... after
all not only it provides good software, but also it provides costumers
freedoms they are forbidden.

If competitors arise, you can lower the price, increase added value,
etc, and you made the software... you know about it better than anyone!
So if someone wants customizations, or other things, who better to call
than YOU?

You can also only distribute it exclusively on a phisical media device
(like a cd), but then you may run the risk of someone else
redistributing... so I don't know if I advise going through that route.

> particulary since as a closed source system I'd be looking at selling it for
> 10's of thousands of pounds per client (large company)

You can give the added value of support per seat (discount in groups,
for instance? :))

Contrary to popular belief, some well known software companies earn more
money from deals than from selling the software in itself...

Do you have good selling contacts?

Well, these are only some suggestions... take all of them, some of them
or none at all.

If the VC's are SO strongly inclined to make the application
proprietary... then... can't you really find anyone else?

Remember that they want to maximize the value of their percentage!
If you get another VC, they will get 0% of nothing :)

Good luck with your free software application!

Hugs, rui

+ So let's do it...?