Dilema

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Mar 18 19:05:47 UTC 2002

John Tapsell <tapselj0 at cs.man.ac.uk> wrote:
>   On a whim, I mentioned the project to some VC's, and it turns out they love
> it, and are willing to plow serious amounts of money, and give me a team of
> developers, etc.  Being a uni student, I'm obviously very pleased and
> excited, but if I did this I would have to make it closed source, and indeed
> actively protect it.

1/ Go read the VC horror stories that litter the net and decide whether it
still seems like a good idea.

2/ Why would VC input make it closed source?  Are the sort of VCs that can't
grok the free software economy really the sort you want to deal with?

3/ Do you mean "linux"?  If it's really a closed kernel driver, be prepared
for much abuse if it isn't coded perfectly.

--